Dear IFSA World,
As the IFSA year almost draws to a close I wanted to share some of the happenings from IFSA’s busy International Processes Commission and our broader UN Partnerships, through which our engagement is ever growing thanks to our busy Head’s of Sub-Commissions, Liaison Officers and active delegations.
United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC):
- We recently attended the Bonn Climate Change Conference, see the one page Report here: http://www.ifsa.net/documentation/reports/
See blog posts here: https://blogifsa.wordpress.com/category/bonn-ccc-2018/
- There has been an addition of another UNFCCC conference this year to finish the “Paris Rulebook” with the: “Mid-Intersessionals” in Bangkok in September, see the current Open Call email from Xavier to apply prior to July 1 (no funding available)
United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF):
- UNFF13 in May in New York was a huge success where our Major Group for Children and Youth (MGCY) Focal Points presented a well thought out work plan for the next four years
- Our UNFF MGCY focal points, along with a small delegation, are expected to attend a special one-day UN forests event in NYC on 8 July
- Delegates will also attend the 2018 High Level Political Forum (HLPF) from 9-13 July where discussions on progress in achieving the SDGs will take place
United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (UNCBD):
- CBD Sub-Commission Breaking News is regularly updated on the blog page here: https://blogifsa.wordpress.com/category/cbd-subcommission-breaking-news/
- COP14 will be over the 17-29th November 2018 in Egypt, keep your eyes peeled for an Open Call!
- There are many conferences, workshops and meetings of various CBD-related topics all over the world being held monthly, full calendar of events here: https://www.cbd.int/meetings/
FORESTS EUROPE (FE):
- FE is building up to a legally-binding agreement (LBA), which would contain goals in SFM and forest cover for geographical Europe
- There will be a round table meeting for signatories and observers on the 19th and 20th of September at which preliminary statements can be made on the process and content of the LBA
- Because of a change of management the budget for the student conference which was planned for over a year, will not take place in the foreseeable future. The internship scheme will for now be maintained.
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP):
- After last year’s accreditation to UNEP an IFSA delegation attended the UNEA-3 for the first time in December 2017, Nairobi, Kenya. See blog posts here:
Report is here: http://www.ifsa.net/documentation/reports/
- Upcoming Open Call: pan-European regional multi-stakeholder consultation for the Major Groups and Stakeholders, September 3-4, 2018, in Tallinn, Estonia (in preparation for the Global Major Groups and Stakeholders forum to be held at UNEA-4, 2019)
- UNEA-4 dates announced: 4th Session of the United Nations Environment Assembly will be in Nairobi, Kenya, March 11-15, 2019, under the theme “Innovative solutions for environmental challenges and sustainable consumption and production”
United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO):
- IFSA students attended 5 out of 6 of the FAO Regional Forestry Commissions aimed at highlighting key issues in each region. These sessions ran from September of 2017 in Edmonton Canada, and finish this week (June 18-22) in Dakar Senegal, for the African Forestry and Wildlife Commission.
- These events culminate in the largest forestry event held every 2 years, FAO’s Committee on Forestry (COFO) where IFSA will have a strong team of 20 delegates. For more info: http://www.fao.org/about/meetings/cofo/en/
- IFSA played a key role in a collaborative training run during the Halting Deforestation Conference at the FAO HQ in February in Rome, producing a 5 day short course: http://www.ifsa.net/shortcourse/
- And providing a vision of youth in the Halting Deforestation co chair summary as well as dedicated key message : http://www.cpfweb.org/93859/en/
- IFSA’s Halting Deforestation report: http://www.ifsa.net/documentation/reports/
- Another strong turnout globally to celebrate the International Day of Forests, with over 25 videos from 12 countries posted, highlighting the great diversity and strength of the IFSA network across various regions: https://www.facebook.com/pg/IFSAdotnet/videos/
That’s all for now,
With love from IFSA and the IPC,
Charlotte, Xavier, Steffen, Jesse, Liz, Gaby, Joost, Max and Khalil